Neurological Physiotherapy is a specialised area of Physiotherapy to provide specialised care to patients with a Neurological condition.
This care requires a specialised and focussed treatment approach combining a knowledge of neuroscience, hands on treatment techniques and specifically-tailored and individualised exercises in order to improve movement quality, balance and function.
The human brain is a very special organ- it never lose the ability to change but can restructure or rewire itself when it recognizes the need for adaption. This process of forming new connections and pathways is known as Neuroplasticity, and Physiotherapy can facilitate and promote these changes by providing the required sensory input in order to achieve the best possible output and functional outcomes.
What to expect?Our Neuro Physiotherapist will provide a thorough assessment and sit down with you to discuss your personal goals. They will work with you to develop an appropriate treatment plan tailored to you to help you achieve your goals. They have an extensive toolkit and referral network connections built over many years to ensure that treatment is effective, enjoyable and goal focussed around your needs.
Your treatment may include:
- Hands on treatment techniques and therapeutic modalities help improve your quality of movement
- Exercises to improve walking, balance, coordination, upper body strength or general fittness
- Exercises to improve independence in functional tasks such a sit to stand, getting in/out of bed
- Vestibular and balance re-education
- Individualised home, gym based or pool programs
- Education on strategies to improve movement quality and overcome areas of difficulty
- Education on strategies to manage fatigue and pain
- Managing spasticity, spasms and joint stiffness or contracture
- Education to family or carers on techniques such as manual handling techniques at assist safe transfers and mobility
- Gait and transfer assessment and prescription of appropriate equipment where required
- Education on techniques to assist with getting up from the floor
- Education in falls prevention
- Functional Electrical Stimulation
- Therapy Assistant programs
- Liaison with other allied health providers in order to provide a coordinated, team approach to achieving your goals.
Neurological conditions we can help with:
- Traumatic Brain
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Motor Neurone
- Cerebral Palsy
- Spinal Cerebellar
- Hereditary Spastic
- Multi System Atrophy
- Supranuclear Palsy
- Dizziness Disorders
- Balance Dirsorders